NCE II Lesson 14
1. amuse vt. 使 发笑; 把 逗乐. Sam’s actions amused the old woman.
amusing adj. 令人好笑的,有趣的.He always tells amusing jokes. His actions are always amusing. amused adj. 愉快的, 开心的, 好玩的. Sally was amused, but I was embarrassed.
2. experience (1) n. [c] 经历, 阅历; 感受,体会 “That’s an unlucky experience.”Sam said sadly. I had many memorable(难忘的) experiences during four years of my college.
(2) n. [u] 经验 Does Sam have much experience of cheating.
(3) vt. 经历,体验 I have never experieced such knidness.
3. lift (1) vt. 举起 , Can Sam lift an elephant?
(2) n. 电梯 Sam’s home is on the fifteenth floor. Let’s take the lift(乘电梯).
n.搭车[c] give sb a lift (给/让 搭个便车) When we were back to Harbin, Sam gave an old beggar a lift. ask (sb) for a lift “(向sb)请求搭个便车”The beggar asked Sam for a lift.
take a lift/ lifts 搭便车 He wants to take lifts to travel around the world.
4. journey n.[c] 旅行. He always asked questions during the journey.
vt. 旅行(travel) journey to sp.
5. reply vi. 答复, 回击, 报复 (to sb/sth = answer) I sent Sam an e-mail. But he didn't reply to me. He answered/ replied to the question.
I asked him where to go, but he didn't ansewr/reply. ‘Are you coming?’‘Yes,’he answered/replied. 两者后都跟宾语从句时,可以互换. He answered/replied that he was not coming.
6. on adv. ‘(进行)下去,（继续）下去’, 与行为动词连用(用于动词后)
Please read on, 请继续读下去. go on/ walk on /swim on 等.
7. drive/walk on to sp. 继续开/走往 After they had a rest, they walked on to the school.
8. in “以,用”,专门用于语言, 声音, (书写)材料, 时间之前.
He replied in the same language. They are talking in a low voice. Sam writes in pencil, not in a pen. The bird covered the distance in three minutes.
9. except, except for, apart from. 除 之外.
except/except/ apart from 都可指从一组中或从同一个范畴内除去个别的一个或者几个,except不放在句首(句首用可用except for/apart from).
We go fishing every day except Sunday. (every day 与 Sunday 同一范畴)
I have nothing to do except wait. I know nothing about it except what I read in papers.
如果想表达美中不足或惋惜之意,或者前后成分不属于同一范畴,可用except for/apart from
I am quite well now, except for/ apart from a slight cold. Apar from/ Except for this, everything is in order.
10. when 的特殊用法 “正在这时/那时(突然)”,不放在句首, when 前通常有逗号. ※注意与when“当 时候”引导从句时的区别.
I was thinking about something, when he hit me on my head.
He hit me on my head when I was thinking about something.
When I was thinking about something, he hit me on my head.